1. Aim for balanced meals and snacks with 30% protein, 40% complex carbohydrates and 30% good quality fats.
Protein - Examples include fish, seafood, poultry, meat, eggs, dairy, soy and legumes.
Complex Carbohydrates - Examples include grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits.
Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) - EFAs are essential in the diet as they are important compounds not able to be synthesised in our own bodies. Found mainly in fish oils (sardines, mackerel, tuna, salmon) and plant oils (like flaxseed and grapeseed), EFAs are a constituent in every cell membrane and improve the integrity and function of the cell.
2. A minimum of 3 cups of fresh vegetables daily.
3. 2-3 pieces of fruit daily or 1 cup of fresh fruit.
4. Limit starchy carbohydrates to 1-2 small serves per day, eg. rice.
5. Water intake of 1-2 litres daily in between meals will promote the elimination of toxins, helping to flush out any acid residues in the blood, lymph and other bodily fluids, and therefore helping to restore the normal alkaline balance of the blood. Use natural flavourings such as fresh lemon, lime and mint in water.
8. Lemon juice - the juice of half a lemon in a large glass of warm water daily. This helps to stimulate the liver and digestive system, alkalising the blood and cleansing the body. This is particularly beneficial taken in the morning on rising.
9. Fresh, cold-pressed vegetable juice daily with carrot, beetroot, celery, ginger (or other vegetables) and lemon (diluted with half water) will help to support the liver and promote the elimination of toxins from the body as well as being high in antioxidants.
10. A smoothie daily with 2 tablespoons of a good quality protein powder, a handful of berries, half a banana or other fruit, a heaped tablespoon of yoghurt, 1 tsp of flaxseed/hemp seed/coconut oil, 1/2cup of milk (soy, coconut, oat or almond), 1 tablespoon of chia seeds or LSA (linseed, sunflower seed and almond meal). Other superfood ingredients that could be included are carob, cacao nibs, spirulina (or blue-green algae powder) and bee pollen.
11. Drinking BBTC tea & herbal teas throughout the day will have wide-ranging health benefits including to help to cleanse the blood and promote the elimination of metabolic acid wastes via the kidneys.